Tuesday, January 21, 2014

For Eternal Glory



"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16–18 

 

I have this verse posted at my desk, and it's been a great encouragements over the last few months. In all honesty, I haven't really felt like I "needed" it lately. I know it sounds bad; it's not that I don't need Scripture, it's just that as I have been feeling better, I think I haven't paid as much attention to this verse. But it caught my eye earlier, and as I read it, I was reminded that our life here isn't for us. What we do here, what happens to us, whether good or bad, are not for our glory but for the glory of God. Even in the midst of affliction, our faith and obedience in it is for Him. One of the commentaries says that the things we are afflicted with on earth are light in comparison to the eternal glory that we get to experience in Heaven. 

 

 So whether you are in affliction or not, remember that your life is for God's glory, and remember that the glory we get to experience in Heaven far outweighs this life.  

 


"We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death is at work in us, but life in you." 2 Corinthians 4:8–12

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." Romans 8:18 


"In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls." 1 Peter 1:6–9 

No comments:

Post a Comment